Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 08:22:45 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ye' olde IDE drive problems...

Doug White wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > And run a "newfs -b 8192 -f 1024
>
> I'd like to see the rest of this line.

The rest? - should there be any rest?  - That's the line that
/stand/sysinstall issues to format the partition! ;-)

> > It starts to format the drive, and then I get:
> >
> > "wd0: interrupt timeout
> > wd0: status 58 <rdy,seekdone,drq>
> > wd0: interrupt timeout
> > wd0: status 58 <rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1 <no_dam>"
>
> You need to enable your ide controller; it's not responding to interrupts.

The IDE controller is definitely enabled, in the bios it says:

Peripherals | Onboard IDE Controller: Both

(other values are: Primary, Secondary or Disabled)

DOS works fine with the drive... And while I know their IO routines aren't
exactly punishing - they must surely use IRQ's? - Even Windows'95 is quite
happy using it's Bus mastering drivers etc...

There must also be IRQs flying around during the probe phase as the kernel
comes up and ID's the drive?

If I look at a systat -vmstat while the drive is formatting I can see (under
interrupts):

wdc0  irq14

Listed... When I first start formatting the drive - the number of interrupts
goes up to around 100 or so (it's hard to see) - but after the 'timeouts' it
sticks at '1'. (How do I know your going to suggest a conflict? ;-)

Does the IDE driver just giveup after a timeout or something? - the machine
gets rapidly unstable after that...

Regards,

Karl