Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:04:48 -0500
From:      Andy Angrick <angrick@netdirect.net>
To:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tar

Sort of off topic...but....tar has been driving me a little crazy. I'm
trying to create a cron job that backups webserver files and websites to a
second drive in the middle of the night. I'm having a problem with the
update feature (-u). It acts very strange.
tar uvf /usr2/backup1/backup.tar apachef
will do what its suppose to when the file /usr2/backup1/backup.tar doesn't
exist. It tars all the files. However, if i modify one of the files and do
tar uvf /usr2/backup1/backup.tar apachef
again, it doesn't update the archive, when when I do
tar dvf /usr2/backup1/backup.tar apachef
and it compares the files correctly stating that a modified time had
changed. If I specifically say what files
tar uvf /usr2/backup1/backup.tar apachef/logs/*
it works. It seems that -u will not recurse the directories. What's strange
is that if the tar files doesn't already exist it WILL recurse the
directories. Anyone know of a way to recurse the directories with the -u
options?

Thanks
-Andy