Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:36:50 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        GDB <g-d-b@freegates.be>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: e-mail: howto?

GDB wrote:

> I want to use e-mail under FreeBSD 3.2. How can I do that? sendmail
> is running, but where do I have to specify my ISP POP and SMTP
> servers? What do I have to do to send and receive e-mail with, lets
> say, xfmail?

Mark told you about fetchmail and stuff, but didn't mention the SMTP
stuff... To specify your ISP's SMTP server, and you're using Sendmail,
change the empty "DS" line in /etc/sendmail.cf to

DSsmtp.yourisp.net

replacing "smtp.yourisp.net" with the smarthost your ISP tells you to
use.  (Alternatively you can build a new .cf file using the m4 configuration
mechanism.  See /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf for all that stuff.)

After that, mail clients like Mutt and Pine which call Sendmail
directly will just work, and you should tell other mail clients to use
"localhost" as the SMTP server.

If you use a mail client which needs to collect mail using POP3 rather
than accessing your mail file (/var/mail/$USER) directly, you'll need to
install a POP3 server too.  I recommend cucipop, which is in the ports
collection.

If you have a PPP dialup connection you might like to look at the
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup files which you can use to run "sendmail -q" and
"fetchmail" each time you go online.

hope this helps.

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D