Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:15:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
Subject:   Re: How to run kdm

E-mail from freebsd-questions-admin@spitfire.velocet.net, sent 19-06-2001:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:56:45 +0200 (MES)
> Carsten Reimer <careimer@hrz.uni-kassel.de> wrote:
>
> > It is started on booting time from a
> > startup-script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d .
>
> I'd like to know a little more on how you start kdm. I've tried just
> running kdm of /etc/rc.conf which starts kdm fine, but it locks out all
> keyinput but not mouse.
>
> Running kdm of a root-prompt works fine, so kdm is configured correct.

I have the following file /usr/local/etc/rc.d/kdm.sh (permissions 0700):

--= Begin /usr/local/etc/rc.d/kdm.sh =--
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
[Ss][Tt][Aa][Rr][Tt])
	/usr/local/bin/kdm & && echo -n " kdm"
;;
esac

No problems at all. I first edited /etc/ttys, but that caused problems
similar to yours. (I couldn't even switch back to a normal console to have
root access!)

With kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--
/ \                   rjs@gmx.net                   //  \