Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 02:27:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        green@zone.syracuse.NET (Brian Feldman)
Cc:        gseward@jps.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Novice question

> All I know is that sysinstall (hence the GENERIC kernel too) disk does NOT
> have PnP, and I don't see one goddamned reason it shouldn't have PnP in
> 3.0-RELEASE! Along with installing ELF bootability. HEAR ME JKH? </rant>
>
> > I am trying to install FreeBSD over a FTP connection, and I have
> > been unable to get it to recognise my PnP modem.  I set it in the
> > kernel configuration at the com port address and IRQ identified by
> > BIOS and it is never found.  Any ideas?

Disable PnP in the BIOS.  For all PnP devices for which PnP is enabled
in the BIOS, if the device is not in the boot path, the BIOS disables
the device.

If this does not help, then your modem is probably a "softmodem",
which is a modem that relies on the host processor for some
aspects of signal processing, whether MNP only, or all the way
to actually signal processing the modem signal stream after merely
line converting, ADAC'ing the signal, and maybe buffering at a
given clock.

FreeBSD won't work with modems like this (nor will Linux, nor will
nearly any non-MS OS) because it requires drivers from the modem
vendor (and said drivers suck your CPU through a hole in the floor).

Anyway, if it works with PnP disabled in the BIOS, be sure to
add your voice to Brian's (personally, I think FreeBSD should
manage PnP hadrware by doing *all* the PnP work, even for PnP
cards plugged into machines without PnP BIOS; actually, Windows
95/98 recommends disabling the PnP BIOS on the theory that the
OS knows the hardware better than the hardware vendor does.
Many times, this is right, e.g., ALR's BIOS does not properly
reserve IRQ 12 for the built-in bus mouse).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.