Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 12:34:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kurt Olsen <kurto@bootp.sls.usu.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voodoo graphics

>this is good.  is there a standard negotiation framework for getting
>these companies to give up their source?  could you, kurt, write an
>outline of your process?  thank you,

Most of the time I just look for some way to make contact.  Either by
phone, email, whatever.  For 3Dfx I was reading their news site and saw
that there was a particular person who seemed to be involved with
Glide.  So I sent him an email and he put me in contact with the proper
individuals to arrange licensing.  3Dfx seems to want to have Glide
ported, they just don't have the manpower to support every platform.

In all likelyhood there will be no source release and I'll be signing
NDAs, etc.  But if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

When I got the Tseng databooks I just called them and they took my
name and address and sent it out.  Similar when I contacted Atari (RIP)
a while ago about one of their platforms.

I think that the big thing is not to be too pushy, I realize that
often I'm asking for favors which don't have a lot of return potential.
So I try to treat the company like I would anybody who is doing me a
favor.

It's also important that you don't make a claim to being something
that you are not, ie. I never said I was CEO of FreeBSD Inc. or anything
like that.  Doing so could cause real problems for FreeBSD and tarnish
our image.

Now I'll try to stop lecturing people who probably know more about
this sort of thing that I.

Have a good day.
Kurt Olsen
kurto@bootp.sls.usu.edu