Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:25:07 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
To:        SitePlus Web Services <jim@siteplus.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var full

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 10:12:03AM -0500, SitePlus Web Services wrote:

> I am new to this.  My web server is beginning to get pretty busy and I
> noticed today that /var was at 90%  I moved and linked log and mail to
> /usr/log and /usr/mail but it is still pretty full.  When I set  up the
> server I allotted / and /var both 100megs.  I suppose that was not
> enough for /var.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with FreeBSD-stable and why you
don't have a full real name, but if you tell us you have a busy web site
it may be a very cool trick to look for those web server's log files
and cut them off regularly.

When you're using Apache from the ports, they could reside at

	/var/log/[apache|httpd]-access
	/var/log/[apache|httpd]-error

Take care when you try to simply move them, you will have to send the
httpd a SIGHUP to re-open his log files, otherwise they won't be
unlinked.

Regards,

Martin
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387