Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:21:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        tcg@ime.net, rnordier@iafrica.com, dgy@rtd.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

It seems that Robert Nordier said:
> Gary Chrysler wrote:

[stuff about DOS sucking eggs deleted since we're pretty much all
in agreement]

> However, unless some sorting takes place, the files may end up
> being processed out of order.  This may not be a likely problem,
> but it is a sufficiently possible one to need taking into account.

Yes.  I imagine the "safest" way (without writing a utility to
do this) would be to use FOR to expand the command line
argument (e.g., %1.??).  Then, for each file, use FIND (OhMiGod)
to extract the pertinent line from a master CHECKSUMS file into
a temp file.  Use CKSUM.EXE to compute a checksum into yet another
temporary file and finally COMP to verify they agree.

Sheesh!  Sounds like it would be easier to just write it all
from scratch (bummer!) -- and people have the NERVE to call
DOS an O.S.!

> I actually had to do a DOS cksum-like clone, years ago, and for
> compatibility it was necessary to sort the file args during the
> globbing.  Unfortunately this is something ports from UNIX frequently
> don't take into account.

The cksum.c in FBSD pretty much compiles out of the box -- have to
drag in getopt() though...  I'd like to stick to using cksum as is
simply because of all of the grief over the different versions of
cksum over the years.  It seems like it would also be a good
general purpose utility to have in DOSland for those folks that
want to manually do a checksum and verify *by hand* against some
published cksums...

--don