Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:54:17 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.7 running SSL+apache?

I'm trying to build Apache with SSL on a 2.1.7 system; running into
two major problems. I figured others, especially ISPs, must be running
like this, so here's the deal.

1. Building ports/apache, requesting SSL extensions:

	cd /usr/ports/www/apache/
	make -k -DSECURE_SERVER
	===>  apache_SSL-1.1.1 is marked as broken: SSLeay has
		changed, and the patches for apache need more work.

   I could take a whack at patching it up, but I have to admit to not
   having played with SSL before now. The next problem seems to be
   more of an impediment to me.

2. Building port/SSLeay:

   pkg/DESCR says:

	As this is a FreeBSD port, it has been tailored to FreeBSD.  It
	uses the DES, MD2 and MD5 from FreeBSD 2.2+. Earlier versions of
	freebsd have a DES library that is missing bits, and SSLeay will
	not compile properly. The answer is to get the latest secure/ dist.

   and as expected, it fails at link time [lines split for readability]:

	cc -o out/ssleay -O tmp/verify.o  tmp/asn1pars.o tmp/req.o
	   tmp/dgst.o  tmp/dh.o tmp/enc.o tmp/gendh.o  tmp/errstr.o tmp/ca.o
	   tmp/pkcs7.o  tmp/crl2p7.o tmp/crl.o tmp/rsa.o  tmp/x509.o
	   tmp/genrsa.o tmp/s_server.o  tmp/s_client.o tmp/speed.o
	   tmp/s_time.o  tmp/apps.o tmp/s_cb.o tmp/s_socket.o  tmp/version.o
	   tmp/sess_id.o tmp/ciphers.o  tmp/ssleay.o out/libssl.a
	   out/libcrypto.a -ldes -lmd

	e_xcbc_d.o: Undefined symbol `_des_xcbc_encrypt' referenced from text segment
	*** Error code 1 (continuing)
	`all' not remade because of errors.

   The DESCR seems to imply that I might be able to build the "secure"
   distribution from the latest 2.2; is this true? will it merge in
   with my 2.1.7 system? pointers on how to go about it?

Any other words of wisdom? Thanks.