Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 12:31:40 GMT
From:      "Phil Richardson" <phil@pico.humber.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advice/Support on pppd

Hi,

I am not sure how to post queries and problems to this service, I
have never needed to before, although I am a user of FreeBSD for some
two years now.

I wonder if you can help with the following technical question. I am
trying to set up 'pppd' to act as a server for a dial-up PC using
Windows 95. I haven't got as far as using PAP or CHAP authentication as
yet because the connection process is still unreliable.

When first run, all seems to be ok. The address of the server side
becomes 194.80.51.42, and the address of the remote pc side becomes
194.80.51.45 as expected. A snap-shot of the connection dialog is
below. I guess that the unknown protocol refers to the Windows-95 side
of things, although it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

 pppd 2.1.2 started by root, uid 0
 Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyd2
 input: Unknown protocol (80fd) received!
 local  IP address 194.80.51.42
 remote IP address 194.80.51.45
 Connection terminated.

When the connection is terminated, and a new connection is initiated
the following dialog is seen;

 pppd 2.1.2 started by root, uid 0
 Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyd2
 input: Unknown protocol (80fd) received!
 local  IP address 194.80.51.42
 remote IP address 194.80.51.45
 ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): Address already exists
 Connection terminated.

The connection terminated occurs when I disconnect the line or tell the
Windows-95 system to drop the line. The connection seems to make but
neither the server nor the client can communicate. There is no activity
seen on the modem either.

The only cure I have found is to reboot the server.

The following file is the /etc/ppp/options file;

 crtscts
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 194.80.51.42:194.80.51.45
 domain humber.ac.uk
 passive
 silent
 modem
 proxyarp

I run the pppd daemon as a 'getty' using;

ttyd2 "/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyd2 19200 -detach" dialup on secure

from the /etc/ttys file.

I have noted that the arp entry for 194.80.51.45 remains present after
the first invocation, and that a second entry appears on the second
invoication.

Any advice or help on this matter would be most appreciated.

Regards

Phil Richardson
Network Services Manager
Computing and Network Services
University of Lincolnshire and Humberside

PRichardson@humber.ac.uk