Date:      Wed, 31 May 2006 11:32:24 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Selecting CPU/architecture for new system?

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of selecting hardware for a FreeBSD
system having the main task of collecting network statistics via MRTG
or RRDtool. In addition the machine in question should be used to
collect netflow statistics plus providing a web-interface for
displaying them.

To give you an impression about the workload to be expected: Currently
the system is a dual Xeon machine with 3GHz-CPUs reaching work loads
(top) of 7 to 9. Disk-IO btw is not the problem.

For the new system I thought about a 4-CPU machine, 4GB RAM - with
either 32- or 64-bit architecture.

Here are my questions:

o) Should I stick with a 32-bit architecture (i386) or go for any of
the 64-architectures?

o) Is FreeBSD 6.1 considered equally stable under the i386
architecture as under any of the 64bit architectures?

o) Are SMP-systems with 4 CPUs supported in i386?

o) Are SMP-systems with 4 CPU supported in any of the 64-bit
architectures?

o) Anything else to consider in this context?

Thanks much in advance for any clue,
-ewald