Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:42:42 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

As Chris Csanady wrote:

> Just a thought, but what about using some sort of generic frame
> buffer driver in the kernel.  I dont think it should be the
> responsibility of the Xserver or anything else to twiddle with the
> cards settings directly.  The kernel would just need to know a few
> card specific things about setting timings, etc.

Basically: Yes!

However: have you ever counted the number of hardware-dependant code
lines in XFree86?  No?  Then you don't know what you're talking
about. :~)  Last time i counted, we spoke about some 200+ Klines of C
code. :-O

Have a look at /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/set2061/, just to get the
feeling for _one_ (now already fairly aged) piece of hardware that
needs to be supported, the ICD2061A clock synthesizer.

--
cheers, J"org