Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:11:22 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

"David Schwartz" writes:

> 	Forgive me for making an argument with which I do not agree, but I think I
> can do it clearly:
>
> 	The XFS filesystem would not be useful alone, right?
>
> 	You would need the Linux kernel to use it.

You would need to use *a* kernel to use it. SGI already uses it with
Irix.

So by the above argument, sendmail, XFree86, perl, etc, are all useless
without a kernel to support them. Therefore they too must be infected
with GPL?   :-)

Actually the big difference is that XFS is something that will be used
*by* the kernel. While regular programs are something that *uses* the
kernel.