Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat exploit

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Jay Tribick wrote:
> cat the file INSTALL to find out what you need to do - it would be
> relatively simple to embed a command in there to just rm -rf / & your
> hd!

steve@BitBucket:/home/steve% cat /dev/urandom
[barf] ^C
steve@BitBucket:/home/steve% 1;2cxterm1;2cxterm1;2cxterm1;2c1;2cx
term1;2c1;2cxterm1;2c1;2c

I tried it several times and I couldn't get it to produce anything
other than "1;2c" and "xterm", although it did completely freeze my
xterm once (scrollbars didn't even work).

It never seemed to embed an enter character. I have, on occasion, cat'ed
a file and seen the "zsh: command not found: xtermxtermxterm" but I
think that was caused by me typing ahead without noticing the extra
garbage on the command line.

In any case, it looks like the worst that could happen is that a binary
named with some combination of those strings could be exectued, IF IT IS
IN YOUR PATH. I can't think of any "evil" command that can be built
using just those strings.