Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 19:39:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to upgrade to 2.2.5-BETA?

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Josef Karthauser wrote:

[re: upgrades with cvsup]

> I updated a 2.1.5 machine to RELENG_2_2 last week doing this.  Easy.
> (Only problem?  It was a 486 machine with 8mb of memory so it was _real_
> slow :)
>
> Joe

I have a machine that originally had 2.1 installed on it (via ftp) and
has been upgraded only through sup/cvsup and "make world."  It's still
got some stuff dated Nov 16, 1995.

One thing "make world" doesn't do is update /stand/sysinstall; nor
does it update /etc.  I've updated that by hand, of course, but didn't
realize I had to move some files there to other locations--e.g.,
MAKEDEV in /etc/etc.i386 should be moved to /dev/MAKEDEV.  As a
consequence I couldn't make moused work.

Unlike an upgrade using a cd (or ftp as an install medium), a make
world doesn't update the X Window stuff, so I also had a pretty old
version of that around, and just upgraded it by making the port, which,
thank goodness, worked fine.

My guess is that there are a few other things lurking....

	Annelise