Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:17:46 -0600
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
To:        Rob <nospam@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer screws up audio device access

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:06:51 +0900
Rob <nospam@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running 4-Stable with up-to-date ports installed.
>
> I'm puzzled by what mplayer does to my audio device
> (I use mplayer-gtk-esound-0.92.0_4 compiled from ports).
>

> When I run "gmplayer -vo x11", I can only play one movie with
> sound. When I stop the movie (NOT exiting mplayer!) and start
> another one, I get this dialog from mplayer:
>
>      "Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound"
>
> and, of course, there's no sound. This is quite a nuissance.
>

> Any idea what is going wrong here?

Not exactly sure, but it sounds like mplayer is still has the device
open despit being puased.

To fix this add something like this using sysctl...
hw.snd.maxautovchans=4
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=6

Just replace pcm0 with what ever your audio device is... this will
allow multiple device to access it...

You can also place it in /etc/sysctl.conf and it will take affect on
every boot.