Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:14:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      adrian <jimbud@lostland.net>
To:        David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3c905 tuning?

Hello,

  Running ifconfig xl0 will list the status of media type.  To change
types, simply:

  ifconfig xl0 media "100baseTX"

Out of curiosity, how slow are your transfer rates?  I'm having issues
with 4.2 (although it could be the other hardware) where incoming data
transfers are ~30kB/s and outgoing are ~900kB/s with a 3c905a at
10baseT/UTP.  With a tulip based card, incoming is ~200kB/s and outgoing
is the same.  The box is a dual Pentium 166 Acer Altos.  In any other
system, the NIC's run at full speed for both transfers.  I've tried the
transfers between FreeBSD and FreeBSD, FreeBSD and Linux, and FreeBSD and
Irix.  I'm fairly confident it's the Altos' that is at fault, but I was
wondering if anyone else had a suggestion.

Regards,
Adrian