Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 03:26:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        mike@chaski.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: page faults etc.

Doug White said:
> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, michael dorin wrote:
>

> > How do I tell how many page faults my system is having?
>
> systat -vmstat <delay>, Trp item (this is total system traps, but includes
> page faults).

Page faults are generally not useful info.  That info is more useful to
me to make sure that I have minimized them.  There are sort-of three levels
of faults, one that requires I/O to complete, one that requires copying or
zeroing a page, and one that simply maps a page into memory.  These
are listed in descending time to process, and the times span several
orders of magnitude or more.

> > What do I look for as bad?
> > What do I look for as good?
>
> You really want to be concerned about swap usage, this is probably an
> easier-to-track barometer.  If your swap system is very active (lots of
> in/out) you probably need more RAM.
>
> Mr. Dyson?

Yes, the paging I/O is the most important parameter, and too much I/O
will impact performance severely.  FreeBSD tries to minimize the amount
of paging I/O by careful page mgmt, but excessive paging will clobber
performance on any system.

One more note though, if you have excess RAM, the system will likely use
it as a very effective disk cache.  There is a point of diminishing returns.
With my workstation workload, it seems that I am at that point between
64MB and 128MB.  Performance is still reasonable at 32MB with my workload.
When running on 16-32MB, the system starts feeling like WinNT with 64MB.  I
normally run with 200+ MB, but with memory so cheap, why not? :-).