Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:12:22 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Kirill Ponomarew <krion@voodoo.oberon.net>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: docs/76324: [patch] '[P|p]orts collection' -> 'Ports Collection' in Handbook

--9l24NVCWtSuIVIod

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:59:14AM +0100, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:50:02PM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> =20
> > I wonder if this could be a problem for some languages where a word
> > changes when used in e.g. singular/plural form, or with declinations,
> > cases, and so on.  A prime example: in the Russian version of the
> > Handbook, the title for chapter 4.5 is "=C8=F1=EF=EE=EB=FC=E7=EE=E2=E0=
=ED=E8=E5 =CA=EE=EB=EB=E5=EA=F6=E8=E8 =CF=EE=F0=F2=EE=E2",
> > and the word used, 'Kolekcii', is a derivative of the word 'Kolekcija'.
> > How exactly should this be represented using entities? :)
>=20
> Russian translators can just ignore such entities for plural form
> and use it only for singular form eg.

Even for singular, it won't work - in my example, the usage was not in
the plural, it was the singular form in the... erm.. accusative
(vinitel'nij padezh), right? :)

And if the entity should be ignored for some cases (arguably, for *most*
cases), then what is the sense of having it in the first place?  The way
I see it, the main reason for this PR was that the capitalization was
inconsistent, and IMHO the entity would only be useful if it were
possible to use it in *all* cases so that there is no way to
miscapitalize 'the Ports Collection'.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@cnsys.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks=
 of your brain.

--9l24NVCWtSuIVIod

--9l24NVCWtSuIVIod--