Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:21:11 -0400
From:      Matt Gostick <matt@virtualservice.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: don't understand the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory

Sam Carleton wrote:

> I have installed MySQL from the FreeBSD distribution and it placed the
> startup files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  MySQL does NOT start
> automatically, though.  Where is some documentation as to under how to
> get things started at bootup, and equally important how to get things
> shutdown when rebooting.
>
> Sam

When booting it runs any scripts in that dir with the param of 'start'
and when shutting down it does the same with param 'stop'.

The MySQL scripts work fine for me...  never had a problem.  Perhaps the
permissions are incorrect?  What happens if you run the scripts
manually?

My ls -la:

drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Jul 12 16:46 .
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  1024 Jul 12 21:11 ..
-rwx------  1 root  wheel    51 Jun 19 14:00 mysql-client.sh
-rwx------  1 root  wheel   133 Jun 19 14:09 mysql-server.sh

--
Matt Gostick <matt@virtualservice.com>