Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:27:47 +1000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, perhaps@yes.no, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP support

> > Please, if you are going to do this, go back to the discussion that
> > came up last time on this topic, most particularly the allocation and
> > attachment strategy that Stefan and I discussed.  Doing this job
> > half-assed is just going to mean that it will have to be done again.
>
> where was it discussed ? I do not remember having seen this on
> -hackers, although I brought up the subject in july (specifically about
> the attach returning or not an error value) when I started working on
> PnP.

Ironically, I found most of my record of this thread in a folder with
your name on it.  8)

The most recent evocation was on -hackers under the titles
"sound driver structure and configuration" and
"Advice sought on PnP configuration"

The most succinct extract I have on the "new" model reads :

 ---8<---snip---8<---

 - gather all the information :
        PCI probe
        PnP probe
        get ISA config (compiled in, datafile, etc.)
        get PCI/PnP identifier tables (compiled in, bootloader, etc.)

 - attach PCI devices
        I/O ports and IRQs are assigned by the PCI rules.
 - attach PnP devices
        IRQs are taken from the free pool left after PCI assignment and
        those marked for 'legacy' use.  I/O ports are probed as per the
        PnP spec.
 - walk ISA config data, probe possible devices
        We know which IRQ and I/O resources are still available,
        we can hunt for devices that match the gaps.

I think it's important to leave the 'legacy' devices until _last_, as
this prevents a PnP device being accidentally recognised as a 'legacy'
device.

This was generally accepted (I think Stefan had a few claraifications
on it) as being the "most effective" way of going about it.

See also the thread "Backwards compatibiliy for isa_driver" on -current
around mid-May for Doug R's work, which should definitely be taken
seriously.

> I am asking because I would like to help on this.

I realise, and your work to data alone has been greatly appreciated;
don't make the mistake of thinking I'm trying to put it down!

mike