Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:32:00 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Scanner anybody?

> I guess this is going to be a "You gotta be kidding me!" type question,
> but does anybody know what would be involved in driving a SCSI scanner
> (eg: something like an Epson GT-8500, HP Scanjet 3C, Sharp JX330 etc)

I've been running an HP3C on FreeBSD for a couple months now using a
driver Richard Tobin wrote for FreeBSD 1.X.  It uses the 'processor type
(pt)' driver in our SCSI system, and it works as a user-land driver

However, this *only* works with HP scanners, so it's not a generic
solution.

Note, before someone sent me a pointer to this I (attempted) a port of
PiNT (Pint is Not Twain) from NetBSD to FreeBSD.  Thanks to Peter
Dufault, I have it compiled and in the kernel but it doesn't work at
all.  I have no interest in trying to find out why it doesn't work since
the user-driver works wonderfully.  (We're using it in-house for some
MAP scanning programs).

In any case, here's a pointer to the code.  With the amount of interest
I've seen lately with this, I *really* should make a port of this.

---------------------
This software is copyright Richard Tobin 1994.  It may be freely
redistributed provided the copyright notices are not removed.

You can ftp this code from macbeth.cogsci.ed.ac.uk.

This is (a very early version of) a SCSI driver for the HP ScanJet range
of scanners and a corresponding graphical user interface.

Hope it helps,

Nate

ps. Joerg found a bug in the code, although I know where it's at if you
need it fixed.