Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 16:29:34 -0400
From:      John Turnbull <johnrt@home.com>
To:        pat@databits.net
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: ntp-4.0.99k

Pat:

I have been doing battle with Linux and NTP for some weeks now,
attempting to get the pps driver (127.127.22.0) working with a GPS
receiver. I have wised up (or gotten religion) and have switched to
FreeBSD for the timeserver.

The hardware is a Garmin GPS25 OEM receiver. Both the NMEA and the PPS
are on the same serial plug (pps on DCD). I have a fairly stock FreeBSD
4.2 install. I have made sim-links from /dev/pps0 > /dev/cuaa1 (I have a
mouse in cuaa0) and /dev/gps0 > /dev/cuaa1.

Could you please send me a copy of a working /etc/ntp.conf file for this
type of setup and advise me of what types of modes I need in the kernel.
I am comfortable compiling Linux kernels, but please point me at some
documentation for FreeBSD compiles (I am just days new here).

Thank you in advance.  John T