Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 21:47:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@bigwheel.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jnorman@pensions.com
Subject:   smtp server

I have a FreeBSD box which is acting as an interface for the
purpose of transferring mail between a well connected smart
host (ISP) and a NT server.  The FreeBSD box talks to the
smart host via UUCP and to the NT server via smtp.  The
FreeBSD box has a hostname of bsdserver.pensions.com and an
IP address on the network of 193.0.1.1.  (The network is not
connected to the Internet.)  I have re-compiled sendmail
without DNS support.  The m4 file for creating sendmail.cf
defines MAIL_HUB and the /etc/hosts file contains an entry
for the host which maps the host to the IP address of the
NT server.

I'm having a few problems and I think that they might be
related.  First, mail received from the smart host and
addressed to user@pensions.com was being queued for delivery
via uucp rather than smtp.  I concluded that the reason was
that the FreeBSD box didn't know that mail for pensions.com
should be delivered locally since it was not addressed to
the domain bsdserver.pensons.com.  I used FEATURE(domaintable)
to map bsdserver.pensions.com to pensions.com and got side-stepped
that problem.  Mail was then traveling in both directions just
fine except that outbound mail was showing bsdserver.pensions.com
rather than just pensions.com as the domain in the return address.
Additionally, a Sender: header line was included and it also
showed the domain of bsdserver.pensions.com rather than just
pensions.com.  I never did get this fixed.

Basically, I'm thinking that I shouldn't be having the problems
that I'm having and the work arounds I've come up with shouldn't
be necessary.  I reason that a lot of ISPs perform this function
for many different domains.  It shouldn't matter what the hostname
on the BSD box is.  I should have it configured so that it just
receives mail from the smart host and sends it on to the NT server
and vice versa without altering the From: and Sender: header lines.
Therefore, I conclude that I must be missing something.  I would
be very grateful if someone could please tell me what it is.

Thanks for any input.

     ... doug