Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:46:01 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1237745744.5508d6@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dns woes

Replies interspersed

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 14:15 -0400, David Banning wrote:
> I have had my dns server working fine in the past but now it seems
> to be down and I can't locate the reason.
>
> Here are some details;
>
> # dig @127.0.0.1 mylocaldomain.com

Is this a real registered .com or some local (to your subnet) domain
name?

> works, but
>
> # dig @ns1.3s1.com mylocaldomain.com

Same question.

> does not.
>
> I have all IP addresses listed in named.conf;
>
>         listen-on       {
>                         192.168.1.1;
>                         209.161.205.12;
>                         127.0.0.1;
>                         };
>

> I also note that
>
> $ telnet ns1.3s1.com 53

DNS' primary protocol is UDP, telnet uses TCP.  Some DNS servers listen
to TCP, however it is not required (the whole point in DNS over TCP are
for packets that won't fit in one UDP packet, such as a zone transfer).

> show port 53 as closed, while
>
> $ telnet 127.0.0.1 53

See above.

> shows it as open
>
> The other strange thing is that I get the startup error;
>
> zone 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN: loading master file master/localhost.rev: file not found
>
> when in fact /etc/namedb/master/localhost.rev -does- exist.

named is chrooted by default.
realpath /etc/namedb/master/localhost.rev !=
/var/named/etc/namedb/master/localhost.rev  (the realpath of the
chrooted named binary that is looking for that file).

> any pointers would be helpful

See above.  -> -> -> ->