Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:30:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMTP connection going away.

using pine locally on a PPP connection to my ISP works only for a few
minutes before I can no longer send any messages out.

I upgraded to Pine 3.95 to fix this, but that didn't work. However, pine
now give more explicit messages about the problem. When I have been
composing a message for over a minute or so, pine goes into the sending
mode, "sending message | 0%" then "sending message | 100%" at which point
it stops entirely and goes to sleep. ps shows:

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
 1000   221   216   0   2  0  1400 1552 select S+    p1    0:03.20  (pine)

After a period of time (about 5-10 minutes), pine finally says:

	Mail not sent. Sending error: 421 SMTP connection went away!

At this point, I can telnet another machine at the University and still
access my mail, and if I open another copy of pine locally, I can too.
Also, new mail still rolls in and pine gives the "new messages from"
message. I just can't send mail.

If I get on pine and compose and send quickly, I can send out many
messages, only after a period spent not sending does the SMTP connection
shut me out.

Is this a problem with my machine? or is it the IPS's (Univ. of WA) setup?
If anyone thinks it's pine, I'll be happy to mail my question to them
instead. Unfortunately, mailing the University on this will only get me a
long FAQ regarding Windoze/Mac setup.

I would send more info, but I have no idea what would help diagnose.

Thanks in advance.

Ken