Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 18:09:36 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        hometeam@techpower.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio driver

On Sun, 17 May 1998 06:49:11 -0400 (EDT), Jt <hometeam@techpower.net>
wrote:

>Yeah I was trying for the 230000 I am isdn that was the whole
>purpose of the 16650 to increase thoughput.

Don't define it to SIO as a 650.  Define it as a 550.  The only
trouble I ever had was when I tried to tell SIO the UART was a 650
(which it actually is).

There's an obscure setting (in -current, I don't know about -stable)
where you can tell SIO that a 550 UART has a transmit FIFO larger than
16 bytes.  That's the only real benefit of trying to define it as 650
anyway, because you get the larger receive FIFO by default, no matter
whether defined as a 650 or 550.

I can post my serial port kernel config if you want to see how to use
the transmit FIFO size setting when defined as a 550.

>jkh mention that freebsd could handle 230 no problem just the 115000
>16550 was the restriction.

Not if your serial card has a 2x clock jumper.  I run 230,400 on
either a 650 or 550 with no errors.

>it runs in windows 95 fine on the 230000 settings.

It only works with serial cards which have 2x or 4x jumper settings.
You tell SIO the speed is 115,200, and the 2x clock jumper makes it
really run at 230,400.

Works great here with a 3Ccom Impact IQ ISDN at 128k.  I run multiple
ports, one upstream ISDN and several downstream modems, no errors.