Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 19:49:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        Niall Brady <bradyn@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports updating... Good ways?

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Niall Brady wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 07:18:50PM -0500, Jim Weeks wrote:
> >
> > You don't really have to do this.  You can remove the info files for the
> > old versions from /var/db/pkg/.  For instance, if you have checked
> > pkg_info and found you have two versions of zip ie zip-2.3 and zip-2.2,
> > simply rm -r /var/db/pkg/zip-2.2
>
> Not really... unless you're sure that the file list is exactly the
> same in both, 'cos there's really no point leaving crud from old
> programs lying around, as would happen if you did the above, rather
> than deleting both, and installing the newest...

While I do admit, there is a posibilty of leaving old unused files lying
around, I find this a lot lessy messy than removing every dependacy on a
production system and reinstalling.

As with most responses on the list, this is not authoritative, and is
simply what works best for me.

I am adding this response back to the list in an effort to make this
perfectly clear.

Jim