Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:03:14 -0100 (GMT)
From:      Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
To:        Stephen Ritter <t_sritte@qualcomm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P2L97DS

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Stephen Ritter wrote:

> (Note: this was previously posted to -hardware, several people suggested I
> post it here.)
>
> Hello, I am fairly new to FreeBSD (a linux convert!) and would like to know
> if any of you have experience putting together a machine using the ASUS
> P2L97DS motherboard?  I would like to build a machine which would initially
> only have one PII300 on the board, but eventually I would add the second.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Will this board work with FreeBSD SMP?

OK for me.

> 2) Will the FreeBSD kernel be able to detect/use the on-board SCSI controller?

Yes. There is only one problem: multiples 2940 cards are
initialized/probed by the bios in different order than the one during the
FreeBSD boot probing. This gave me good time when the 'bios boot' disk
were the last one seen by the kernel !!... By inverting cards, cables
and so on, i got the 'bios boot' disk as sd0. (I run 2x2940 each for 4x9Gb
disks and use the internal 7880 for DLT, CD-RW and tapes All works great).