Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:34:42 -0700
From:      "Adams, Jason/OMI/DNV" <jadams1@omiinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Oracle installer

I have an Oracle 7 DB running on Solaris that I want to be able to use
Perl DBI from a FreeBSD box (Dell 2450) to access the Solaris box. I
have an Oracle 8i CD for linux that I'm trying to install on the BSD
box. Below is the error I get when I try and run the Oracle installer.
Any help with the error would be appreciated. Also, am I even going
about this the right way - trying to install the client bins on the BSD
box so I can access the Solaris box, or is there an easier/better way?
Can I even use Oracle8i for linux bins to access an Oracle7 Solaris box?

/cdrom/install/linux/runIns.sh

GUI comes up but when I hit 'next' it crashes with this error:

Exception java.lang.NullPointerException occurred..
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifp.OiifpWizLocPanel.getDefHomeLocation(OiifpWizLocPanel.java:978)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifp.OiifpWizLocPanel.refreshCombos(OiifpWizLocPanel.java:815)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifp.OiifpWizLocPanel.<init>(OiifpWizLocPanel.java:307)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifp.OiifpWizLocPanel.<init>(OiifpWizLocPanel.java:322)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifp.OiifpWizLocPanel.<init>(OiifpWizLocPanel.java:327)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwInstLocWCDE.setWizPanel(OiifwInstLocWCDE.java:180)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbWizChainDlgElem.doOperation(OiifbWizChainDlgElem.java:409)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbCondIterator.iterate(OiifbCondIterator.java:140)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicPullSession.doOperation(OiicPullSession.java:404)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicSessionWrapper.doOperation(OiicSessionWrapper.java:78)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbLinearIterator.iterate(OiifbLinearIterator.java:116)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.run(OiicInstaller.java:287)
        at
oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.main(OiicInstaller.java:439)

If I run it with -responseFile GUI still comes up and I can hit 'next'
and it looks like it is loading the products.jar file but then errors
with:

"There was a problem in the staging area. Please make sure the 'Source'
and 'Destination' specified are valid"

I edited the ee_typical.rsp file and changed the values to where I want
to install - this dir /home/oracle is owned by oracle and 777.

Thanks,
--
Jason Adams    "Good, Fast or Cheap. Pick two.
                     You can't have all three."