Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:58:44 +0100
From:      Gareth McCaughan <Gareth.McCaughan@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DVD-R burning on FreeBSD-STABLE using "burncd"?

Is it possible to write DVD-R/RWs on FreeBSD-STABLE using the
"burncd" program? (There doesn't seem to be any special DVD support
in the code; does a DVD drive just look like an unusually large
CD drive to anything talking to it via ATAPI?)

To clarify: I'm talking about writing *data*; I have no particular
interest in authoring video DVDs.

More specifically, is it possible to do so using the Pioneer DVR-A04
drive? (The manufacturer's web page describing the drive says that
its interface is "ATAPI (ATA/ATAPI-5 & MCC3, SFFCINF 8090 Ver.5)".)

And, does FreeBSD-STABLE have the ability to write (and, indeed, to
read) DVDs in UDF format, or only ISO9660?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'll be checking the list,
but copies to me would be helpful as I'm not actually subscribed.