Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      stuart@i2k.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp problems

hi-
	i wrote in a few days ago about a problem i was having where my
ppp connection would "freeze", and i would have to dialup again, etc.  I
had been using natd AND ppp -alias, which I quickly changed after people
responded.  I took all natd related stuff from my kernel and
recompiled.  Now I start ppp using the command "ppp -background -alias
isp" without using natd at all.  This machine is used as a gateway for
other computers on my lan.
	After changing all of this, following the directions i received
exactly, I am still having the same "freezing" problem.  Once again, there
doesnt seem to be any particular reason that causes it to freeze.  Here is
the output from "netstat -r" after I connect successfully:

Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
default            speedbump2.i2k.com UGSc        5        5     tun0
10/24              link#1             UC          0        0      ed1
localhost          localhost          UH          0        0      lo0
speedbump2.i2k.com sb20-114.i2k.com   UH          5        0     tun0

Once the "freeze" happens I can do a netstat -r and only receive the first
line of this (Destination, Gateway, Flags, Refs, Use, Netif) and I must
ctrl+c to get back to a prompt.

Perhaps my problem is in my routing tables?  In ppp.conf I use these
commands to setup my routes (taken directly from the handbook):

 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this frustrating problem.
Thanks,

ben stuart
stuart@i2k.com