Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:47:43 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocates@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: the stealth OS?

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Cool with the geeks beecause it's "unknown".
> :
> :http://www.msnbc.com/news/292376.asp
> :
> :Len
>
>     I love the quote by Matthew Fuller at the end:
>
>     "There's a lot of things that Linux is 'better' at, and a
>     lot of things FreeBSD is 'better' at, and a lot of those
>     things can easily fluctuate on a daily or weekly basis,"
>     said Fuller, who maintains a Linux vs BSD Web page.
>     "Thus, any definitive narrow statement that can be made
>     is usually obsolete before anyone hears it.".

I guess he didn't manage to get in touch with Terry.  We spoke at length
on Tuesday; I'm astonished how fast this came out.  The writer was a
DefCon for the first time; that was the first time HE had heard of BSD,
and was relatively astonished to discover what a large and thriving
community it is.

I'd like to point out a quote from the March Daemon's Advocate at this
point:

	...the BSD community is just about reaching the size to be noted
	by the popular computing press, at least in the USA, and that what
	little they know of us is good. We must strive to keep this positive
	viewpoint.

We're just finally starting to get our OWN press, where WE are the lead item
and compared to Linux, rather than the other way around.  This is helped by
the fact that, as you can see in the MSNBC article, BSD users rarely claim
that BSD is the solution to every problem on the planet, but rather just a
good tool to solve problems that are commonly encountered.

I am dissappointed he didn't include my plug for companies embedding BSD
in products, though.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com