Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:36:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu (Benjamin Tomhave)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT ported: take 2

> I apparently did not ask my question correctly.  I am running Windows NT
> 3.51 Workstation.  The file system is NTFS.  I am fully aware that FreeBSD
> and NetBSD are independent operating systems.  Duh!  Seeing as I'm running
> FreeBSD on a machine already and am an administrator on several other
> machines, I think I would know that.  What my question was is whether or
> not tere are any utils. similar to fips which will allow a non-destructive
> partitioning of a harddrive w/ NTFS on it and then also I wanted to know
> if anybody has had success porting an NTFS partition.  I realize that the
> second questions is probably yes as both Free and Net BSD simply install
> their own file systems over it.  However, does the boot manager allow a
> choice of booting to WinNT (I know you can boot into DOS/Windows)? These
> are the questions I meant to ask.  Next time I will make a better effort
> to accurately articulate my question.

1a)	Will FIPS work on NT filesystem partitions?

	No, since there is no PD software capable of writing to an
	NT partition to tell NT that it has been shrunk without
	irreversibly damaging the NT partition.

1b)	Can Linux partitioning tools do this?

	No.  There is no PD software capable of writing to an
	NT partition to tell NT that it has been shrunk without
	irreversibly damaging the NT partition.

2a)	Can FreeBSD or NetBSD mount NT file systems?

	No, not at the present time.  The Linux NTFS code has
	been ported but it's not being distributed (which means
	the answer to the question "can I have a copy?" is "No,
	you can't have a copy, that's what 'not being distributed'
	is all about").

2b)	Can Linux?

	Yes, but it can't write them.  You could port the code
	yourself pretty easily, if you wanted read-only mounts
	that badly.

3a)	Can the BSD-supplied boot managers boot NT?

	Supposedly yes.  I haven't been able to make it work, and
	I've spent more than a little time at it.

3b)	Can the NT boot manager boot FreeBSD?

	Yes.  You have to make a FreeBSD boot sector image; there
	are instructions on how to do this in the handbook on
	www.freebsd.org.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---