Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:17:13 -0700
From:      "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
To:        "'Alfred Perlstein'" <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Getting to Stable and boot floppies

Thanks for the info, and yes, you *can* ask why in the world I would *want*
to boot off of floppies!

At the moment this is the only Intel box that I have and it must also run
Windows.  Since my wife is the one who primarily uses the Win95 "side" of
the box, I needed (read as was required to...) make the FreeBSD part as
transparent as possible to her.  From what little I played with the boot
manager (Boot-Easy) that came with FBSD, it seemed a little too cryptic.
Since Win95 is on one physical disk and FBSD is on another, I was prompted
by the boot manager to press F5 to switch disks and then it would present me
with what OS was on that disk.  And, if memory serves me correctly, it
always defaults to the last used OS, which means if she turns on the
computer before she has had her coffee in the morning, there is a good
chance that she will miss the prompts and will be presented with a FBSD
login.  At that point I will get a call at work asking how to get out of
it...

To me, it just seemed easier for me to push in a floppy, and boot.  After
the boot is done, I take out the floppy.

At sometime in the near future I will be getting another box to run Win95/98
on for her and I will stop using floppies on the FBSD box.

I don't think I have heard of OS-BS.  If it is different than Boot-Easy that
came on the CD, I will check it out...

Again, thanks for the info.

Jim