Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 96 17:40:02 +0100
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        hackers%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: Status of ISDN drivers

wlloyd@mpd.ca writes:
> I've been reading through the past archives for ISDN card information,
> as well as scanning through the source tree.
>
> So far all I've found is that the current ISDN PC card drivers for Dr.
> Neurhaus(sp?) seem to be out of date and going nowhere.
>
> So that seems to leave the following options to do ISDN on Freebsd.
>
> 1) Buy Ascend 25/50 etc. expensive but good option.
> 2) Buy Dr. Nuerhaus card and hope it all works out.
> 3) Get a TA like a Bitsurfr/Adtran etc.
>
> Is that the true situation, or am I missing something?
>
> Is anyone working on drivers for the low cost PC plug-n-play ISDN boards
> from Digiboard or Livingston?

most of the active ISDN users/developers are located in Germany. There's
a rather active mail list here (all in German).

There's now a driver available for the Teles/Creatix card. The Teles low-end
(passive) card is supposedly available in the US (Jordan posted something
to one of the lists a few months ago, check the archive). This driver has
not been put into the source tree yet, but I and several people I know
of are using it.

Whether any changes need to be made to get the current (not yet released)
ISDN stuff to work in the US is a very open question. I don't know of
anyone in the US who's running our ISDN code. It sure would be nice if
someone could try it out, though !

No-one is working on drivers for the Digiboard/Livingston cards, that I
know of. I don't think they're even available or can compete price-wise
with the really low-cost cards already on the market in Europe.

Your best option is prob. 3. Or write a driver :-)

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org