Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 15:11:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Collecting caller ID info

I wish to collect caller ID info from a modem on cuaa0/ttyd0 into a
file.  The program to do this (which I hope to find or write in
PERL) needs to permit regular modem access by programs such as ppp,
Minicom, mgetty, etc., without interfering with them or itself losing the
ability to collect caller ID.  For example, if ppp or mgetty is running,
my program should see caller ID info as it comes in and still pass it on
to whatever else is running; if nothing else is running, my program should
get the caller ID info but allow programs to come along and use the
port.  The program would need to run at all times and occasionally verify
the modem's correct operation, which would involve the occasional
(transparent to other programs) transmission of an AT#CID=1 command to the
modem and the verification that the expected "OK" came back.

My problem:  I'm not sure if what I want is possible without modifying a
device driver.  If I use something like Minicom, cu, screen, etc., to
watch the port, other programs don't work correctly when they try to use
it.  I have not tried a tty snooper, but I assume these could not transmit
the AT#CID=1 now and then and might also end up collecting great
quantities of info when, say, the modem is being used by ppp.  I'm not
above modifying a device driver (I know C), but I'd like to know if
there's an easier way.  If I do need to modify a driver, I should like to
know which one, and I hope there would then be an easy way to keep up with
STABLE without manually repatching the changed file(s)... but yes, I'm
known for dreaming. :-)

Please send any answers directly to me (dgl@visi.com, from which this
message originates), as I have fallen hopelessly behind on this list since
moving to Virginia and, for a while, losing regular Internet
access.  Thanks much in advance.

--
Doug Lee
dgl@visi.com