Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:20:15 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark.jacobs@custserv.com
Subject:   Re: SOCKS V5 proxy for http_proxy Environmental variable

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:08:36 -0400
Mark Jacobs <mark.jacobs@custserv.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to set the http_proxy environmental variable to a
> SOCKS 5 proxy server that is really an SSH tunnel to a server outside
> the network. When I execute the fetch command it is failing with this
> error message;
>
> bc007776# fetch -v ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-22.1.tar.gz
> looking up 127.0.0.1
> connecting to 127.0.0.1:8080
> requesting ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-22.1.tar.gz
> fetch: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-22.1.tar.gz: Unknown error: 0
>
> Is this supported?

I don't think so, and if it were, I doubt it would be supported through
though the http_proxy variable.

Do you not have access to an external http_proxy via the ssh tunnel?
That's the way this kind of thing normally works. Failing that, if this
is for ports building, you might want to look into using curl instead
of fetch in your FETCH_CMD  as it appears to support SOCKS 5.