Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:19:04 +0100
From:      Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord under 4.5-stable

Hello Dan,

[...]
> > > Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 00 00 26 FB 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 09 00 00 00 00
> > > Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> > > Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x09 (write error - loss of streaming) Fru 0x0
[...]
> FWIW, over the weekend I went and bought some CDRW media and tried that. =
=20
> It worked.  So tonight I tried a CDR, and it worked, albeit at a much=20
> slower speed than I am used to.  I will slowly work my way up to my norma=
l=20
> speed.
[...]
> [root@xeon:/home/ftpbackup] # cdrecord -eject speed=3D4 dev=3D0,5,0 repo.=
raw
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.5) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J=F6rg=20
[...]
> Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
> Identifikation : 'CD-R   PX-W124TS'
> Revision       : '1.05'

Nice CD burning device you have. ;-)
I'm still using my good old PX-R412C: Five years old, burning 5 CDRs per
week; and still running.

Hmm, I still not convinced that this is a type-of-CDR(W)-media issue.
The scsi device reports a sense key for a medium error, but not because
the medium has caused a failure; there are simply not enough different
sense keys for more precise error information. Therefore an an Additional
Sense Key (ASC) and Additional Sense Key Qualifier (ASCQ) are used to
describe the error condition precisely.

Use the -v switch for cdrecord and watch the buffer status while burning
a CDR at a higer speed. If it runs empty, there's your problem. If not
and you still get 'loss of streaming' errors, watch for reports regarding
scsi transport in /var/log/messages or dmesg(8).

-Bj=F6rn