Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:11:09 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nice comments about FreeBSD

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 07:38:41AM -0400, Michael Lucas wrote:
> FreeBSD has supported ELF for quite some time.  Perhaps someone who
> uses this software, and is familiar with it, could contact them and
> ask them to correct their entry?  If someone with a clue can't, I'll
> do it.

Obviously, whoever wrote that commentary on FreeBSD hadn't done his/her
research on it.  We have supported ELF for over 2 years, counting
3.0-CURRENT.  Hell, I remember running a 3.0-SNAP in July 1998... and it
did some neat ELF tricks.

One of my pet peeves has always been people who didn't bother to do
their research and always assumed FreeBSD wasn't nearly as much of a
moving target as Linux is.  *mutter, growl*  ;-(

> They might have to recompile their code for a newer FreeBSD, but
> that's it.  IIRC, code for FreeBSD 2.x compiles on 4.x?

It does?  Heh.. didn't think there was that much backwards compatibility
as far as compile support, but binary support, sure.  :-)

> (PS: ObAdvocacy: That's cool.  We rock. Hard.)

Yeah, we rock lots of things fierce.  <grin at billf>

--
Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---