Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:07:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "p.adams" <pa10@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freeBSB

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, p.adams wrote:

> Im planning to buy a PC with the sole intention of running freeBSD
> on it together with windows 95. Will you have any suggestion as to
> which computer I should buy so that all devices, CDROM, etc are
> supported by freeBSD. Many thanks.

I would highly, highly recommend going SCSI if you are looking for maximum
device compatibility.  You'll get a little performance boost along the
way.  The trick is getting win95 on this machine -- it took us some
wrangling to get it on a SCSI box I spec'd for a friend last year.  That
box is running very nicely now, and the SCSI flexibility has been a real
bonus.

How about this:  ASUS P55T2P4 motherboard, ASUS SC-200 controller (NCR
53c810), SCSI CDROM & hard disks of your choice (Fujitsu disks have served
me quite well).  Pick whatever you want for CPU (that's supported on the
board).  For video, sort of your choice, but the Number Nine Motion 771
(S3 968 based) or ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (mach64 VRAM) would make for a
great video subsystem and good X compatiblity.

Hope this helps.  Everyone will have their own opinion, and to be frank,
this system doesn't look too far ahead into the future, but for now it
should be a very nice system.