Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:25:40 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "Stuart Morse" <sturu@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Network Delays

	That's not the fault of the FreeBSD file server... the compiler should load
the file into memory before working on it, at least that's how nearly every
compiler I've ever worked with in the past operated.

> slow source file saves and

	This may be a problem on either end of the network pipe connecting the
machines.

> complete freezing of the JBuilder environment while performing many
> operations (including typing).

	Freezing during typing?  This is definately NOT a problem with the file
server.  The PC that you are doing your work on is too slow to support your
compiler and associated applications properly.  In other words, UPGRADE.

> There are also comparable delays
> accessing the Java servlet through the Web Browser (I'm using Apache
> 1.3 and Tomcat 2.3).

	Again, this may be a problem with either end of the network pipe.

> When I ping the FreeBSD machine From the
> development PC, during this behaviour, about a third of the packets
> time out. We have an 802.3 network that is attached to the Internet
> through a Proxy server, and we are not running DNS within this network.

	Are you pinging with the IP address or the "real name" of the machine?  How
is the network connected together and what other kind of traffic is it
experiencing when this occurs?

> Could this be a reverse DNS lookup problem? I don't really know
> how to trouble shoot this as I'm new to Unix. Any ideas?

	It could be a reverse DNS problem, but you have other problems to track
down, from what I can tell...

--- Andy