Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:46:06 -0600
From:      lanehol@bellsouth.net
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 and ethernet devices

Whoops!  Guess I neglected to mention a few things!

What is working is TCP/IP from the Windows Box to the Mac Machine and
vice-versa.  What is not working is TCP/IP from the FreeBSD box "beyond" (to
the Windows or Mac box) or TCP/IP from either of these to the FreeBSD box.

I can ping from Windows to Mac and Mac to Windows but I cannot ping from
either of these to the FreeBSD box or from the FreeBSD box "beyond" (to the
Windows or Mac box) using hostname or IP address.

When I use tcpdump i get: tcpdump:  /dev/bpf0 : Device not configured.

How do I configure this?  I haven't found that reference in the manual.

I have verified the function of the card in the BSD box by exchanging it
(and the cable) with a working card from my Windows box.  After the exchange
my windows box is still able to ping various addresses but the BSD box still
is not able.

I'm not sure what is meant by "CAT5".  I am using an SMC 4-port dual-speed
hub, if that is relevent.

Thanks for your help, so far.  I now have a new term to research: tcpdump
... Oh .. .and bpf0!

Lane