Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 01:33:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mmap and INN

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.970911013258.16743A-100000@super-g.inch.com> you wrote:
> I've attached two messages I dug up out of the mail archives that seem to
> contradict each other.  Gary says mmap + INN is a good thing, and Mike
> says it's a bad thing...

> Who should I listen to?  We're close to going live with a 2.2-stable news
> machine, and I'm a bit confused about what INN optimizations to go with.

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE with INN 1.5.1 and mmap (default
setup from ports, only paths changed), and I indeed get zero-filled
4K blocks in my active file.   So my advice is that mmap() is broken.

I also have this suggestion:

From: Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>

<<<
> hmm... why is uses
> ##  Should we msync when using mmap? Pick DO or DONT. Useful
> ##  with some slightly broken mmap implementations. (like HPUX and BSD/OS).
> #### =()<MMAP_SYNC            @<MMAP_SYNC>@>()=
> MMAP_SYNC             DONT
> ??
>
> should we declare FreeBSD mmap slightly broken?? ;-)

Yes. You must use this in addition of the MSYNC_3_ARG parameter. That
doesn't prevent the problem from happening though.

I haven't tried it yet;  the problem with active file doesn't manifest
itself often enough.  I plan to upgrade to 1.6 and see if the problem
persists, and then try MMAP_SYNC DONT.