Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 10:09:32 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Eric Parsonage <eric@eparsonage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to install FBSD5.2.1 and Windows XP what proceedure to	follow.

Eric Parsonage wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have a Toshiba Satellite A30 whic currently has WIndows XP home on it but
>it is brand new so I dont mind trashing it and starting from scratch.
>
>I want to Dual boot with FBSD 5.2.1 and Windows XP Pro. I need to put XP
>home on the machine before XP Pro upgrades it so I get all the toshiba
>utilities.
>
>Can anybody give me any advice on what order to do everything in and what
>tools to use ?

Here's what I would do:

1. install winxp home onto one partition of the drive.  (leave plenty of
space for your FreeBSD install)
2. do any toshiba util installs
3. upgrade to xp pro
4. install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on the other partition, making sure to use a
"Boot Manager" when installing  - it is an option during install, right
after you select your partitions and such.

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.