Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:39:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Oliver Blasnik <oliver.blasnik@de.tiscali.com>, beemern <beemern@ksu.edu>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel SE7500CW2 narrowed down...

On 05-Dec-2002 Terry Lambert wrote:

>> > This is why they work on old ASUS Pentium 90 boxes, and FreeBSD
>> > does not.
>>
>> Well, considering FreeBSD started out working on Pentium 90 machines
>> and has used the same algorithm since it first got SMP support, I
>> am kind of skeptical that this is the source of the recent breakage
>> of support for dual Pentiums.
>
> I own an ASUS Dual P90 box that was broken by the mpinit changes.
>

>> > It's not related to the P4 SE7500CW2-type problems, which are
>> > incorrect APIC description and chipset programming.
>>
>> In which way exactly?
>
> The chip isn't programmed to be able to direct interrupts to
> other than the BP, unless it's in virtual wire mode.  You can
> deduce this, just by knowning the difference between the OS's
> that do work on the board, and FReeBSD.

Terry.

Please be quiet until you know what is going on.
IO interrupts work JUST FINE.  It is ONLY the startup IPIs
that are failing.  This has NOTHING to do with IO APICs or
virtual wire mode.  Also, for your information, FreeBSD does NOT
program the APIC to send all interrupts to one CPU.  Rather, in 4.x,
if an interrupt comes to a CPU when another CPU is in the kernel we
use an IPI to "bounce" that interrupt over to the CPU already in the
kernel manually.  It is NOT done by programming the IO APIC.