Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:51:20 +1100
From:      Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'find' is running all by itself

On Wednesday 22 November 2000 17:35, Chip wrote:
> Joshua Delong Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Find gets run when the locate database is updated.  The default is to
run
> > once a week, I believe, but you could change the frequency.
>
> What I find most interesting about this is this - I have 6 fbsd
> machines
> and they all have the same results from 'grep find *' in the
> daily directory.
> But I have only seen it actually do anything on the one machine.
> All of the
> machines except one, run fbsd 4.0-release, the other 4.1.1-r. Is
> there
> something else going on that may cause this to not run, I guess I
> am looking
> for something that would turn it on or off, a conf file
> somewhere?
> Really, it's no big deal, I am just curious about this happening
> on one in six
> machines.
> If there are specific docs somewhere maybe someone could point me
> in the right
> direction? I tried man periodic but that gives me a small amount
> of info about
> motif widgets, I don't think that's the same subject. There is no
> man entrys
> for daily, weekly or monthly. I also looked in my 4 unix books
> and one fbsd
> book for periodic, monthly, daily, and schedule, but came up with
> nothing
> that relates to this subject. Obviously I am missing a key word
> to search for,
> what is it?

The scripts are run by cron (se man cron).  They normally run in the wee
small hours, so my guess is that one of your machines has the clock set
differently or the CMOS clock is set to local time.  Check the times on all
the machines.  The one that is running it during the day might think it is
nighttime.

Geoff
--
count@shalimar.net.au