Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 18:41:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ejc@nasvr1.cb.att.com
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current  submitting policys

I can give you rule of thumb, re: the subject you sent.

By default, UCB-style copyright/license is preferred.

For mandatory kernel components, it is mandatory.

For optional kernel components, it's recommended, but not required.

It must be possible for a third party to put the code on CDROM,
do any component providing base functionality must not have
commercial use or distribution restrictions (the intent is to
allow commercial use of the base system, if desired).

Note that the current GPL'ed code in the source tree meets this
criteria (it is allowable on a CDROM, it does not implement any
mandary kernel components, and kernel components that are GPL'ed
are loadable as modules to allow the choice to encumber to be
made locally by the end user).

Last time I checked, the web pages didn't cover this; Jordan
probably needs to make an official policy statement and publish
a URL.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---