Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:20:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Tim <tms@psiklone.com>
Cc:        "Gallagher, Mick" <mick.gallagher@roke.co.uk>, "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Support for Epson printer

Printer support is based on the rendering software and the filters, not
the operating system (unless it's one of those crippled WinPrinters). Yes
you will need ghostscript, but you will also need an input filter to
format the output for the printer. Yes, you will need an input filter for
text the majority of the time, unless you like staircase format.

Here are some print filters available from FreeBSD's ports:
(I recommend magicfilter and apsfilter)

Port:   magicfilter-1.2
Info:   Customizable, extensible automatic printer filter
Maint:  cjh@kr.freebsd.org
Index:  print
B-deps: XFree86-3.3.6 ghostscript-5.50 gmake-3.78.1 png-1.0.5
R-deps: XFree86-3.3.6 ghostscript-5.50 png-1.0.5

Port:   apsfilter-5.2.0
Info:   Lpd magic print filter with auto file type recognition
Maint:  andreas@FreeBSD.org
Index:  print
B-deps: bzip2-0.9.5d
R-deps: XFree86-3.3.6 a2ps-letter-4.12 bzip2-0.9.5d ghostscript-5.50
	html2ps-letter-1.0 jpeg-6b netpbm-8.0 png-1.0.5
	psutils-letter-1.17 recode-3.5 samba-2.0.6 tiff-3.5.4
	transfig-3.2.3 xpm-3.4k

Port:   enscript-a4-1.6.1
Info:   ASCII-to-PostScript filter
Maint:  kline@thought.org
Index:  print
B-deps: gmake-3.78.1
R-deps:

Port:   enscript-letter-1.6.1
Info:   ASCII-to-PostScript filter
Maint:  kline@thought.org
Index:  print
B-deps: gmake-3.78.1
R-deps:

Port:   enscript-letterdj-1.6.1
Info:   ASCII-to-PostScript filter
Maint:  kline@thought.org
Index:  print
B-deps: gmake-3.78.1
R-deps:

Port:   ifhp-3.3.10
Info:   LPRng print filter for text, PostScript, PCL, HP, Xerox, etc printers
Maint:  papowell@astart.com
Index:  print
B-deps:
R-deps:

Port:   lprps-a4-2.5
Info:   PostScript printer filter package supporting a bidirectional
	serial channel
Maint:  obrien@FreeBSD.org
Index:  print
B-deps:
R-deps:

Port:   lprps-letter-2.5
Info:   PostScript printer filter package supporting a bidirectional
	serial channel
Maint:  obrien@FreeBSD.org
Index:  print
B-deps:
R-deps:

The above was generated from 'make search key=filter'.
Hope this wasnt overkill.

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Tim wrote:

> Yes, it'll work. you'll need to install ghostscript for anything other than
> text.
>

> Tim Strobel
>
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2000, Gallagher, Mick wrote:
> > Hi There,
> >
> > I'm thinking about making the jump from Windoze to Unix and wonder if I'll
> > be able to use my Epson Stylus Color 760 with FreeBSD.
> >
> > Any clues?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mick Gallagher

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |