Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:05:22 EST
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.5R login/telnet sessions killed for no reason.

Hi,

I have been running 2.2.5R for a about 6 monhts now and I have posted
a couple of times complaining about my X session gets killed with
unexpected HUP signal etc.

I finally resorted to *not* running X about just normal login from
the console ttyvX and/or telnet via pty.

However, every now and then even when all of those sessions are
active, the entire login session and the process will just get killed
and I got logged out abruptly and there is just no sigh of what is
happening but from vty console, just get the normal login prompt
again!!

This is happening many many times that I think the system is getting
to a unusable state for proper use.

I have been a happy FreeBSD and I think I must have been done something
wrong ? Does anyone know of init process does send HUP
signal under any circumstance or maybe other processes do so ?

I can't explain the behaviour I am getting at all and it has caused
me quite a fair bit of frustration not knowing where to start
debug.

If anyone have any idea, please kindly advice me and point me to the
right direction as I would like to get this sorted out ASAP.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
M.C Wong